The Ashintosh Foundation is named for Ashintosh Macopenjy, the ship’s doctor for the HMS Endeavour. When the University of Queensland Medical Society (UQMS) formed in 1936, Dr Macopenjy was chosen as its official mascot. The UQMS is now in possession of Ashintosh’s skull, proudly on display at all general meetings.
The Ashintosh Foundation was created in 2004 as the charity arm of the UQMS and retains the UQMS community officer as the managing director of the Foundation (Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
It is a health promotion charity which focuses on community, creativity and charity within and outside the medical and medical education fields. It runs and supports a raft of community and social events and projects all of which are run by either medical students or doctors.
There are three flagship projects run by the Foundation:
- Teddy Bear Hospital – this is one of our longest standing and most successful projects. UQ medical students visit primary school students to promote healthy eating, exercise, sun safety and oral hygiene. Contact: email@example.com
- The Queensland Medical Orchestra (QMO) is comprised of medical students, doctors and other health professionals from around the state. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Ashintosh Innovation Grant Program: Providing funding to support the charitable endeavours of medical students.
Through collaboration with the UQMS, the Foundation runs a range of community and cultural fundraising events throughout the year.
- Coffeehouse- an acoustic music evening with live medical student musicians and barista quality coffee. It both raises funds for our community work as well as proving a casual atmosphere for students to get creative. Contact email@example.com
- Jazz – The Queensland Medical Jazz group is an up and coming group composed of medical students and doctors which now features at multiple major events a year. A great excuse to dress up, raise money for charity and dance to some smooth tunes. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trivia – The annual Ashintosh Trivia Night is a great way to get together and show off your general knowledge
The Ashintosh Foundation also promotes health and fitness within the medical student cohort, whilst raising funds for eligible charities. The Ashintosh Cycle Team rides in the annual Brissie to the Bay bike ride, and hundreds of medical students run each year in the Bridge to Brisbane race. Contact: email@example.com